Between 1897 and 1945 the Hills of Leask had its own Railway Station. Pitlurg was a name that replaced the name Leask at the time of the Clans demise. It just skirts the area to the north of the Hills passing close to the Home Farm of Pitlurg. The branch line was built by the Great North of Scotland Railway. The route was from Ellon to Boddam. From Ellon onward travel connections were available to Aberdeen. Trains used to run in connection with the Railway’s Hotel at Cruden Bay. An Electric tramway connected Cruden Bay station to the Hotel.
The picture, courtesy of Ewan Crawford shows the station as viewed from a road bridge to the south. A building, now a large house, is out of view to the right. Ewan, who is the web page editor of the Boddam Line of railscot.co.uk may have further and better resolution pictures to pass on. Thank you to Ewan for permission to reproduce his work. See more info about the line at http://www.railscot.co.uk/Boddam_Branch/frame.htm.
A picture of the old railway embankment taken from east of the Home Farm of Pitlurg.